About the First Tee Program
First Tee’s signature curriculum seamlessly combines life skills lessons with the game of golf. Participants acquire knowledge and skills through activity-based games and lessons that bridge the game of golf with kid’s every day lives and situations. Participants may begin in the program as young as 5 years old and continue through high school.
Changes in 2023
As of 2022, First Tee has undergone a curriculum refresh, and First Tee – Fort Worth has been proud to play an integral part, as well as provide critical feedback to our national office. Returning participants and families will notice that our classes have shifted to an age-based structure, regardless of skill level or current status in the First Tee program. The advantages of switching to an age-based structure are numerous and participants may find that learning amongst peers their own age proves a more comfortable environment. Participants with greater golf experience and those who have progressed to higher levels of the program will also find they have the opportunity to demonstrate leadership amongst their peers by helping others during class and setting a good example. Participants will now be exposed to lessons previously reserved for upper levels earlier in their First Tee journey. Lessons like goal setting and conflict management are introduced early on.
Later this year, First Tee will be releasing an app and badging system so participants and families can track their progress within the program!
First Tee’s Commitment to Being a Game Changer: The Five Key Commitments
- Pursuing Goals
- Growing through Challenge
- Collaborating with Others
- Building Positive Self-Identity
- Using Good Judgment
I can change the game and change the world by simply being the best version of myself. I am a Game Changer.
- Competitor Class – For those looking to advance their golf skills to compete in tournament play, or in high school and/or college, this class offers lessons on both the mental and skill aspects of the game, including course management, competition golf, managing emotions and more.
- Local Opportunities – There are often opportunities for participants to demonstrate their character growth by representing First Tee – Fort Worth at events and functions including professional tournament, charity and fundraising events, and public speaking opportunities. Additionally, we play several competitive events between other First Tee chapters, host a tournament series of our own, and have a local section of PGA Jr. League.
- PGA Jr. League
- LPGA*USGA Girls Golf
- Race to the Cup Tournament Series
- National Opportunities – As part of a national organization, First Tee offers a variety of events that include golf, leadership, and character development content for participants ages 14-18. These events must be applied to for selection through a vigorous application, and occasionally, an interview process. These are meant to mimic job interviews to give participants experience in these real-world processes. These opportunities often include travel across the country and once-in-a-lifetime experiences, often at no cost to the participant’s family!